Friday, May 16, 2008

dry ice

Yesterday marked an epic day in the history of my life: It marks the day of my first real interaction with dry ice. Sure, I've seen it before in stores and bowls and stuff like that, but I've never gotten my hands on any to actually play around with and test and experiment with...until yesterday.

Eddie had a chemical shipped to him at work that had been shipped in a carton of dry ice to preserve temperatures (commonplace) and he brought the dry ice home to show me and the kids. Of course watching it melt in water is cool, and it sure entertained the kids (except Brynnley, she didn't want anything to do with it), but after awhile that got boring and Eddie and I decided to revisit our juvenile sides and tested out some dry ice bombs. Apparently dry ice bombs are all the rage, and I'd heard about them before, but lemme tell ya, they sure are fun. We were using standard size ozarka bottles instead of 2-liter bottles like most people use. The first one we threw into the pool, but since it was mostly filled it air, it just sat on the surface until it exploded. It was a lot bigger of an explosion than I was anticipating lol. Kisty came running outside from the house wondering if all her kids were in 1 piece still. The second one we wanted to sink in the pool, so we duck taped the bottle to half a brick and tossed it in. Well, the brick apparently wasn't heavy enough because although it sunk partially at first, as the pressure built up in the bottle it floated up to the top, again exploding quite louder than I expected. The third one we tied to 2 full-size bricks and sunk, and this one stayed at the bottom, floating upside down tied to the bricks. When it exploded the ground shook. Not a lot, but it definitely shook, which I also wasn't expecting. The burst of water in the pool wasn't anything extraordinary, it was mostly the submerged 'boom' and the ground shaking that was fun to experience. We sunk a few more, until we ran out of empty bottles. It never got any less fun. I don't see myself ever wanting to do anything malicious with dry ice bombs, but I sure do intend to revisit them sometime.

No comments: