Tuesday, June 17, 2008

happy people

In this troubling world of ours there are two kinds of people. There's angry people and there's happy people. Sure there's some kind of 'in-between' breed, but ultimately when the chips are low you're either an angry person or a happy person. Perhaps it has more to do with the way people cope with their struggles than anything else. Some people are totally happy people, until they're tried, then they transform into our friend here on the right.

I work at Chili's as a server, and a server (almost by definition) is a high-stress job position. When it gets busy and you've got a full section, things can hit the fan very quickly. And it's in a job like mine when it's busy and everyone's guard is down, that you really get to see if your co-workers are angry people or happy people. And once I've made the distinction, it becomes obvious who I'd like to get to know better and who I can probably avoid entirely. Now, I'll admit, it's not a solid form of testing the character of a person, observing how they handle stress or cope with peoples' complaints and bullcrap, but I feel it's a reasonable indicator. I've only been working there about 3 weeks and I can point to each person I work with and tell you if they're an angry or happy person. And really it's the happy people you want to work with, the ones you want to talk to and possibly get to know better, maybe even hang out outside of work. But it's those people who really stand out, at least to me. It makes me wonder if those kind of people stand out to just me, or if they stand out even to the angry people as well. I like to think of myself as a happy person, someone who is upbeat and optimistic and usually wearing a smile, even when times are tough. At the very least, that's what I try to be. I also wonder if outside of a high-stress environment, if I could get along with some of the 'angry' people I work with. How much of the angry or tense or stressed feelings I see coming from these people at work at retained even when they're not at work. How much of lies dormant all the time just waiting for a trigger and how much of it only comes as a result of a specific trigger? Bruce Banner is always the Hulk, even when he seems happy and contented, the wrong thing could set him off and BAM! He just flattened your dog. See, if you knew Bruce Banner was that unstable time bomb just waiting to go off, you probably wouldn't have invited him to come along when you walked your dog. Bruce Banner is an angry person, that's just how he is. It's a residual personality trait, not a byproduct of specific and temporary events.

I'm not prepared to say all the people I see trembling and turning Green in the kitchen are 'Bruce Banners', but maybe they are. But at the very least, I can safely assume the people who aren't turning Green in the kitchen, and are instead relatively cheerful, are definitely not Bruce Banners, and hence would be safe to invite them along when I take my dog for a walk (that is if I owned a dog lol). Bruce Banner quit flattening my dog! HULK SMASH!

No comments: