Thursday, September 27, 2007

a tale as old as time

So once again, I've seen something that has sparked my interest and decided to give it a try. A friend of mine started a blog and it made me think about blogs when I never really had before. The concept of a public journal is quite interesting in a few ways:
1) My brain now has an audience, which will probably be a scary or strange place for most of you. I will have to consider your feelings in my posts and I may not always do a good job at it. You have been warned.
2) I can't write my secrets and really personal feelings in my 'public journal'. This somewhat limits my posting, or I will just have to devise cleverly deceptive anecdotes that allow me to catalog my feelings whilst throwing you off the scent!
3) While I may be screening certain material for my inteded audience, since it's a PUBLIC journal, my audience will be ever changing and I'll never know who reading. Some may be offended, surprised, or just down right mad. But if I stopping myself from doing things that offended, angered, or surprised people, I'd be a pretty boring person.

I'm worried that I'll attempt to cultivate a large audience and then get bored with it and give it up, it's happened once before. I started a web comic after seeing a friend do it (the same friend actually who made the blog) and only did like 6-7 comics which, now that I'm older, I realize were just plain terrible. However a blog involves less work (or does it?...) so hopefully you won't all be disappointed...or me, rather...I think I'm already focusing too much on the 'public' part and less on the 'journal' part.

No comments: