Monday, October 8, 2007

Monday Night Football

There are no words for Monday night's game, except for unbelievable. It was hands down the most unbelievable, most amazing, most stunning game I've ever seen in my short time as a football fan. What made it exciting was that it was sooo close in the final minutes, though not because both teams were playing well. In fact, both teams played pretty terribly. Dallas had 6 turnovers and another 3-4 almost turnovers. The Bills offensive team only managed to get 3 points the whole game with the rest of their points coming from their defense and special teams, and only then because of the mistakes Dallas made.

I've been an avid watcher of the Cowboys this season. I got on the bandwagon near the end of their season after Romo took over Bledsoe and rode on hope into the Playoffs but like every one else, was disappointed at Romo's field goal fumble. But I knew then that Romo had something Bledsoe didn't, and with Parcels retiring, I knew this season would be one to remember.

Coming into the game with a 4-0 record, and the Bills being 1-3 with a new starter QB and a rookie running back, I didn't have many doubts for this game. We'd been steamrolling big teams like the Giants and Rams. Out of 7 commentators, 6 picked Dallas as a favorite to win.

We were all in for a surprise though as the game started off terribly with Romo's first interception of the game getting run in for a Buffalo touchdown. Things just got worse as he threw 3 more picks in the first half, one being easily caught in Dallas' end zone for another touch down. This was followed by a fumble, also by Romo, which led to a field goal by the Bills. Thankfully the Cowboys weren't ALL playing terribly and we were able to secure 10 points before the half. But heading into the locker room with a score of 10-18, things didn't look good. However I knew the Cowboys have been coming out in the second half and just cleaning up, so I had hope they would stop the shenanigans and come back and win.

Things didn't get better fast though as we only managed to get two more field goals which Buffalo was able to return a kickoff for a touch down, bringing the score to a tense 16-24. With only one touch down and a two-point conversion between us and a tie game, things were VERY tense in the fourth quarter. But in a game where everything had been going wrong, things started to look hopeful. Everyone knew what needed to happen, we needed a touch down and a two-point conversion to have a shot at winning in overtime.

With Dallas in possession in the final two minutes, we managed to drive from our 20 all the way to the red zone, and pick up a touchdown with 20 seconds remaining on the clock. At this point I was on the edge of my seat, dripping sweat in anticipation. I began to have flashbacks of Dallas' playoff game last season and hoped with every fiber of my being that something similar didn't happen in this game. When Terrell Owens dropped the tie game pass, I thought it was all over. But with an onside kick left, I still entertained thoughts of victory. At this point both my brother and I were standing, only feet away from the screen, fingers crossed. Through some miracle we managed to recover the onside kick with 18 seconds left. Romo then threw a 20-yard pass to Terrell Owens which looked good and I was already beginning to celebrate in anticipation of an easy field goal, but when the refs ruled it incomplete, I again began to think all hope was lost. The tension elevated as Romo had time throw two short passes, either of which if the receiver hadn't gone out, it would've been game. But the stars aligned and we were able to complete the passes and give our kicker a 53-yard attempt (it would be a new distance record for him, not very reassuring). But oh man when he made the first attempt, I was already slapping high fives, shoutin', celebrating, hell I would've run outside yelling but that stupid Buffalo coach and his last second time out, what a weasel. That's the stupidest rule, and as the commentators argued over it being a good rule or not, they set up the second kick. And this was it, this was the end-all be-all last attempt at a phenomenal comeback to keep our undefeated status.

The snap,

the kick,

time expires,

and it's good. Cowboys win, 25-24. I don't know if I've ever been more excited over anything sport-related in my life. Ladies and Gentlemen, that's a game that will go down in history, God bless America and football. Thank you Cowboys for pulling it together. My fingers are crossed for next week's game versus the Patriots.

No comments: